Friday, June 4, 2010

100 Hz Conical Horn

After researching mid/upper bass horns for several months, I used Hornresp to model a 100 Hz conical horn for a pair of EV-15Ls I had lying around.  I'm trying to cover 100 Hz to 600 Hz with this horn.  I liked the idea of going with a multi-sided conical.  It should look great with my 320 Hz round tractrix horns. 

 

Here's a pict of the first cone I glued up.

After I built this horn, I stumbled across Bill Wood's website.  He designs and builds 12-sided conical horns from 300 Hz on up.  He even has some nice throat compression driver adapters.  His horns look great, especially since he's using solid wood (maple and other woods by request).  I used 3/4" Baltic Birch for mine.  He also has his observations and impressions of conical horns, which he prefers to other types of flares (including tractrix and exponential).

I'll post design details this week after I sneak out to CanJam Chicago tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment